|Jaime Howard and Joanne Middlebrooks, feeling adventurous|
Once upon a time, two painters decided to have a big adventure in a small trailer.
Monterey, California and the Plein Air Convention, "the Woodstock of plein air painting." We're off to join the largest collection of plein air painters on the planet for a week of classes, demos and on-site painting with world class artists along the rocky coast of California.
This is a road trip of epic proportions - almost 6,000 miles round trip from Jacksonville, Florida. It will take a lot of planning and about five weeks to complete the trip.
The goal is to paint our way across the USA, at every location and in every state from here to Monterey and back. We represent our local group of artists, the First Coast Plein Air Painters, and everyone who hankers after an adventure of their own making.
With an end of March departure date coming up, we'll be taking a short shakedown cruise to make sure we both fit in this little tin can comfortably and happily. We'll be posting our preparations and adjustments as we go - and we'll try to answer some of your burning questions:
- What will they take with them in the way of art supplies? Food? Camping equipment?
- Where will they be camping and will they end up spending the night in any WalMart parking lots?
- How many paintings will actually be painted on this trip?
- How will these friends get along sharing this tiny space for over a month?
- Does anyone snore?
- Will they still be friends when they get home?